Working with Sheer Fabrics Handbook
Delicate fabrics are challenging to sew.
But knowing proper techniques will make working with them a delight.
There’s nothing like a lighter-than-air dress. It’s like floating on a summer breeze. The antique dresses that make us Ooh and Ahh are those made of sheer textiles.
Whether you’re dreaming of a Civil War sheer dress or Bustle Era picnic gown, clothing made from diaphanous fabrics inspire us.
But like all good things, sewing with sheers can be a challenge. So you search high & low for those techniques that will make your project go smoothly.
This handbook will be that guide BEFORE the breakdown happens.
You’ll learn how to pre-treat your fabric including ironing & pressing and the proper way to cut your dress pieces from thin materials. You’ll also discover tricks for easier sewing with fine materials, types of hems for 19th C. garments and working with your machine for smooth stitches.
Learn sheer fabric options for use in summer dresses, late Victorian shirtwaists, undersleeves, chemisettes and the wildly popular Edwardian & Titanic draped gowns.
Add this foundational guide to your sewing library now! Be confident as you handle these luxurious goods.
- The variety of modern sheer fabrics to look for & use
- Pre-treating delicate fabrics (pg. 3)
- Tips on cutting sheer textiles (and what to do if you have to rip out a seam) (pg. 6)
- Tricks to producing fine seams
- The best techniques for hems of all widths (pg. 11)
- Learn the secret method to preventing thin fabrics from being stuffed down into the needle plate (pg. 8)
- Tips for making piping from sheer fabrics (pg. 13)
And much more!
Details: Purchase of digital PDF eBook is through our online store: Old Petticoat Shop.
All Historical Sewing products are covered with a 30-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied and find no use for the product send us a quick email. For book returns, please follow the instructions on your packing list. For digital items we will refund your purchase price, no questions asked, within 48 hours. You can read our full terms here.