Demystifying Corset Construction: How to make a corset with clear, easy instructions
The Victorian Corset Sewing Workbook
No more struggling with how to make a corset! It’s easier than you think!
Believe sewing a corset is hard? Scared to make one? Corsets aren’t really that difficult. You simply have to know which supplies to use and the order in which to use them. Apply them with simple seams and you can sew a corset! In this detailed workbook, you’ll learn about the fabrics and tools you’ll need for corset making. Then we’ll walk step-by-step on how to put your corset together. From cutting the coutil and inserting the busk, to grommets and adding laces to the back when you’re done – we go over it all!
You don’t have to be scared of making a corset – simply daring enough to try. You may hear that they’re not that hard, and they’re not. You merely have to follow how to put each piece together and how to use specific tools like an awl and grommet setter. In this hands-on workbook, I’ll take you through each step of building a corset. With thorough instructions and full-color photos to make each step easy, you’ll wonder why you waited so long to tackle sewing a corset!
- Corset fabrics to use and how to pre-treat them
- Detailed list of supplies & tools needed and where to get them (chapter 2)
- How to cut out a corset then flatline it with fashion fabric (so it’s not only pretty but built correctly from the start) (pgs. 26-27)
- Piecing the corset panels (pg. 30)
- Setting in the busk (the right and easy way) (chapter 7)
- How to make boning channels (pgs. 41-42)
- Tips for measuring bones (pg. 45)
- Finishing the raw edges for a professional look (chapter 12)
- How to set in grommets for a smooth & tight finish (pgs. 51-52)
- Sewing Tips gleaned from years of corset making
- Dealing with corset storage and cleaning (chapter 16)
- How to wear your corset so you can still eat, dance & not faint (chapter 17)
- Other helpful tricks when sewing corsets
and much more! You’ll also get my recommended vendors & online suppliers for corset making materials, including patterns. It’s all here!
The disclaimer: your first corset won’t be perfect. They never come out perfect. Even the most talented seamstresses and tailors continue to push forward to make their next corset even better. Don’t let perfectionism or lack of skill stop you. This workbook is only for those who are challenged in their historical sewing and want to push themselves to the next level of costuming. Will you give it a try?
Details: Spiral Bound Workbook for your costume library! Printed on 8.5″ x 11″ full-color pages with sturdy covers and spiral-bound for easy use in your sewing area. Workbook: $47.00
Second Option: Also available as a digital PDF file for download. PDF eBook: $27.00
Other Details: Purchase of either spiral-bound book or digital PDF eBook is through our online store: Old Petticoat Shop. Physical handbooks are shipped from USA to domestic and international addresses. Options are presented at checkout.
All Historical Sewing products are covered with a 30-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied and find no use for the product send us a quick email. For book returns, please follow the instructions on your packing list. For digital items we will refund your purchase price, no questions asked, within 48 hours. You can read our full terms here.